Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Painting a Siren-Tutorial, Part 2

Today I am going to cover painting the wings and the hair of the Siren from Harwood Hobbies. She was sculpted by Sebastian Archer and is from the Sinbad Collection.



I chose to do her wings using a variety of hues from the Coral family and to wet blend those hues out from the center of the wings to the tips.   As I do not own any Coral paint, I found it necessary to mix my own. 


All paints used are from Reaper.  I wanted to work with at least four shades of Coral in order to produce the desired effect. 

To obtain the darkest Coral I mixed Brilliant Red with Pure White to produce a medium pink. Next I added Fireball Orange to the resultant Pink to create my darkest Coral (first on far left).  In order to create a lighter and more true Coral, I added Saffron Yellow to my darkest Coral (second from left).  A lighter Coral was produced by adding Pure White (third from left) and the lightest shade was produced by adding more Pure White.

Highlighting still remains to be done on her wings.


If you recall, I wanted to do her hair in shades of green that would compliment the blue of her skin and be reminiscent of the green in my inspiration photos.  



I also wanted to produce gradients within the hair that would flow from one colour to another using wet blending.  


I began doing the hair going from dark to light.  I wanted Mint Green (first colour top row) to be the underlying colour, but it does have a strong blue bias.  In order to bring some of the green back into the mix, without losing the blue I added Bright Turquoise (second from left top row). To create my darkest hue that contained the strongest green, I added Forrest Green (far right). The resultant colour is in the bottom row on the far left.  I now had a base colour from which to work.

I applied the darkest colour to the underlayer of the hair in back to provide a strong contrast between the blue of the skin and the green of the hair.

I began making lighter versions of this green by progressively adding larger amounts of Saffron Yellow (third from left, top row).  to my darkest green.  For my lightest green I simply added Pure White until I came almost back to the Mint Green.  

The front of the hair is done with the lightest colour. For her pony tail, I simply blended the last three colours down and through the hair.

The next installment will deal with the basics of wet blending and colour theory. After that  we will move on to applying highlights and creating custom washes.

Once again a fellow blogger has reached a significant milestone and is gearing up for an Epic Giveaway.


At the moment, he is presenting teasers of what items might be included in his Give Away.  Day 1 can be found HERE.  

Well folks it's Thursday and the week is on a slow crawl to nowhere.  So pick up some lead, put a brush in your hand and pretend you have something to live for. I know I will.



49 comments:

  1. The wings are looking nice and the hair compliments the blue of her skin well. It's cool seeing this piece come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty good tutorial, given what I know of tutorials, and I find it pretty awesome that at first you weren't sure how well you could even paint but now you're even giving out tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tutorial was something I needed to tackle and was on my "to do" list. Most of the things I do are so straight forward a tutorial would be a waste of time. She's different enough to justify it I think.

      Delete
  3. I'm really liking this tutorial. I've been wondering how you do what you do and this dispels the first explanation I dreamed up, "witchcraft". You have some skills, lady, and thank you for letting us in on your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were witchcraft as dancing naked in the moon light and burning herbs would be quicker.

      I'm a slow painter and it takes me a good week to do just one figure.

      Delete
  4. She is turning out great, Nice seeing it step by step too. Slow crawl indeed too, stuck at this work zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frightfully hot here that it's like walking through molasses outside.

      Delete
  5. lovely work on the wings, dear, but she still looks to me like she is raping that stone LOL :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of all the females I've painted this is the Hubby's favourite sculpt. He likes the artistry of the piece and her naked bum:)

      Delete
  6. This is so cool. She's really come out great. Also, maybe it's because I'm just used to 256 colors (MSPaint) but all of that color mixing makes my head spin. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had 250 colours then I wouldn't have to mix these things up!

      Delete
    2. not sure, Anne, not sure...maybe you should not have the "GOOD" colour that you WANT absolutely !!

      Delete
    3. You're right. If I had all those colours I would never be driven to learn more. And I need to keep learning!

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing the miniature finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can finish her without botching it. Now that would be embarrassing.

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, love the wings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! Those are my favourite part of the piece.

      Delete
  9. Interesting how the first coat on the wings go on. I will be looking at te Reaper forum this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out. I lurked there for a long time before I started my personal W.I.P. It has made a huge difference in my painting and in my desire to learn.

      Delete
  10. She's really coming along, the amount of work just coming up with the colours is amazing, great work cailin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran! It took a good bit of making mistakes to get those greens, but the Corals were pretty straightforward.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. You and me both. Hope I don't muck it up!

      Delete
  12. The wings are very nice. All of it is, really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice colour shifts in the blending.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is coming along nicely Anne. I think you need to push the contrast a bit more though on the hair. The top parts could do with a bit more of a highlight up to almost white. But this is turning into a beauty of a model!

    Thanks also for the plug to my site! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow look at you now teaching us how to do your magic a bit...i thought magicians kept their tricks secret...an interesting progression since yesterday..i like the boldness of the wings....waiting to see what you do with the hair before judgement...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice control of your color-gradation skills, Anne. I'd know your style of painting anywhere. You have been "signaturized!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's coming along very nicely Anne!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  18. This bird is really starting to sing! Lovely colors and work here. And your hubby is so right, that's a very well sculpted bum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hola
    Bueno si señor,estas con buen pie
    Estaré a tentó a masssssssss
    UN SALUDO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great color variation on the wings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice contrasting colors, will be fun to see how she turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent stuff Anne. I love the vibrant colors and the presentation is very good. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent tutorial, Anne!
    I like your vital and artistic style as well as the vivid colours your using.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tutorial Anne!
    It's a lot of work to do : pictures, notes, etc...

    I like the colors of the wings !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually stare at the palette for a while. I've always loved seeing people mix and come up with their desired color.

    ReplyDelete
  26. She is unique , awesome and pretty memorable only and only Anne. Fine work and love the tutorials.
    I liked those golden wings more than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Coming on Nicely Anne. I like the way the hair colour compliments the skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really enjoying this series of posts,and want to pay close attention to the wet blending as I have yet to try that

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a brave use of colour, but it really brings the miniature to life. Great progress Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely work on the wings Anne , i follow
    Slainte!

    ReplyDelete
  31. She is looking very good Anne! Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great job, and nice tutorial. I need to attempt wet blending, but I am too scared to try. I really want to expand my techniques though, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Comments may or may not be mediated due to the activities of a troll.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...