Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Irish Takeaway 2 - Speak Irish For Me

If you follow me on twitter, then you know I'm abroad and you also know that when I'm abroad I miss home.  I promised to do a series called Irish Takeaway, each dealing with a different aspect of being Irish and being in another land. 

One of the most common things I'm asked is "Can you say something in Irish for me?"  This sounds like a simple question, but it's not. What I'm being asked to do is to speak the native language of Ireland, also known as Gaelic, Gaeilge, Gaeilig or Gaelainn.  

When I was growing up, Gaeilge was spoken in my home, but rarely outside of it.  The language was often associated with being "thick", rural and poor and was not used for everyday life.  In more recent years there has been a return of pride and a return to the use of the native language.  I'm being careful with my phrasing here because I could easily piss off one of my kinsman by using Gaeilge instead of Gaeilg or Gaelainn.  So, if one of you turns up at my page and wants to set me alight, don't.  It'll just piss me off.  I speak Gaeilge the way I heard it used around me.  I do not write nor read my own language.  It wasn't taught and I've been busy and I'll get around to it one day, so feck off.

For those of you who would ask me to "Speak Irish for me," here's a little of the native tongue of Ireland.









This was not how my mother spoke it and not like I speak it, but there's subtitles and that's why I chose it. 




   


10 comments:

  1. Ok, i can't speak irish for you, at least not much. Im a freaking rabbi plumber from brooklyn and thats the craic she said with one leg up'n the dash and nothing on but the radio ;) hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get asked to say something in "American"
    it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously wanna see the rest of this show, hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want to watch the rest of this show now, hahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to all of you. 'Twas a hard weekend and I locked down my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @AngryLurker, ya sound like me mum. And you're welcome. Beannacht Dé leat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I appreciate that. While my ear doesn't like the way they speak it on the program, I'm glad they're keeping the language alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Timothy I'm sorry to hear that. I don't speak American myself, only cork or The King's English.

    ReplyDelete

Comments may or may not be mediated due to the activities of a troll.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...